Stars are releasing a new album called The North, out September 4th, which seems a long time away, particularly when they've already leaked 2 tracks off the CD, the first out a few weeks ago and the second out (streaming only) last week. I didn't particularly care for Stars last album, The Five Ghosts, and I didn't think much of their first leaked track "The Theory of Relativity" but I love love love the new track. It's more expansive and ethereal than anything they've put out in some time I think, and I've always been a fan of their more epic constructions, starting way back with the track that introduced me to them so many years ago, "Your Ex-Lover is Dead." This is not quite at that level but it has me rather excited about the new album.
London-based The XX are following up their well-received self-titled debut with a new album this fall called Coexist. The first released track is a fairly minimalized and ethereal treatise on love, or the lack thereof, and it's available for download below. They will be touring the US starting in October.
The xx Fall 2012 Tour Dates:
- 10/5- Vogue Theatre – Vancouver, BC
- 10/6- Paramount Theater – Seattle, WA
- 10/7- Roseland Theater – Portland, OR
- 10/10 – The Pool at The Cosmopolitan – Las Vegas, NV
- 10/11- Soma – San Diego, CA
- 10/12- Hollywood Palladium – Los Angeles, CA
- 10/13- Hollywood Forever Cemetary – Los Angeles, CA
- 10/14 – Treasure Island – San Francisco, CA
- 1016 – The Complex – Salt Lake City, UT
- 10/17 – Boulder Theater – Boulder, CO
- 10/19- First Avenue – Minneapolis, MN
- 10/20 – Congress Theater – Chicago, IL
- 10/21- Pabst Theatre – Milwaukee, WI
- 10/24- Imperial De Quebece – Quebec City, QC
- 10/25 – House of Blues – Boston, MA
- 10/28- The Paradise Theater – Bronx, NY
- 10/29 – Electric Factory – Philadelphia, PA
- 10/30 – Rams Head Live – Baltimore, MD
Last year The Antlers included an XX cover ("VCR") on their (Together) release of leftovers from their amazing 2011 album Burst Apart, so it's only fitting that I back up my XX blurb with a little Antlers, who are releasing a 4-song EP today (yay, this one you don't have to wait for September!). It's titled Undersea. The tracklist is as follows and you can purchase at the Undersea website.
1. Drift Dive – 4:48
2. Endless Ladder – 8:30
3. Crest – 3:42
4. Zelda – 5:31
And last we have another album being released today, the super-duper (did I just say "super-duper"?) long-awaited follow-up to Passion Pit's breakthrough 2009 release Manners. This one is titled Gossamer and according to NPR, " finds the band spinning shimmering silk from many intricately layered threads: airy synths, warm bass, crisp snares, crashing cymbals, singer Michael Angelakos' expressive falsetto. Each song positively glows." Personally I can't say each song positively glows but there is a beauty and an energy and a sometimes dizzying, sometimes reinvigorating swing of highs and lows between songs and in the midst of songs that I think is a bold step forward from their previous work. You can listen to the whole thing streaming here. And you can buy it here.
Video for "Take a Walk" below, it's pretty cool, although I don't quite understand the significance of so much flying in a song about walking... by the way the city featured in the soaring scenes is indeed, my Philadelphia. Yay!