101. "Burn Girl Prom Queen" Mogwai
102. "Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean" Explosions in the Sky
- The Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place, 2003
103. "If You're Feeling Sinister" Belle and Sebastian
- If You're Feeling Sinister, 1996
- "But if you are feeling sinister, go off and see your minister. He'll try in vain to take away the pain of being a hopeless unbeliever."
104. "Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie" Joanna Newsom
- The Milk-Eyed Mender, 2004
- "That means no, from where I come from. I am cold, out waiting for the day to come."
105. "Grace Cathedral Hill" The Decemberists
- Castaways and Cutouts, 2002
- "And the world may be long for you, but he'll never belong to you, but on a motorbike, when all the city lights blind your eyes tonight, are you feeling better now?"
106. "Shallow End" Superchunk
- Incidental Music (1991-95), 1995
- "Is that a pearl I'm supposed to keep, 'cause you are putting me to sleep. Well I know you think you're deep, all right, but you should stay at the shallow end."
107. "Reel Around the Fountain" The Smiths
- The Smiths, 1994
- "It's time the tale were told of how you took a child, and you made him old. You made him old."
108. "Your Ex-Lover is Dead" Stars
- Set Yourself on Fire, 2005
- "God that was strange to see you again, introduced by a friend of a friend, smiled and said 'yes I think we've met before', in that instant it started to pour; captured a taxi despite all the rain, we drove in silence across Pont Champlain, and all of the time you thought I was sad, I was trying to remember your name..."
109. "Between Planets" The Jesus & Mary Chain
- Automatic, 1989
- "Suicide standing, sucking in her cheeks, too much lips and too much eyes, she hasn't slept for weeks."
110. "Homeboy" Adorable
- Against Perfection, 1993
- "I want to drown beneath the waves, I want to dig myself a shallow grave, and hold you up for all to see. I want to cut you up, I want to make you bleed, ever so slowly."
111. "Sometimes" James
- Laid, 1993
- "Sometimes, when I look deep into your eyes, I swear I can see your soul."
112. "Kim, You Bore Me to Death" Grandaddy
- Concrete Dunes, 2002
- "And so she explains her theories, her feet propped up on new pillows, and her roommate behind her playing bongos. Kim, you bore me to death!"
113. "All My Little Words" The Magnetic Fields
- 69 Love Songs, Volume 1, 1999
- "You said you were in love with me, both of us know that that's impossible, and I could make you rue the day, but I could never make you stay."
114. "Like a Friend" Pulp
- This is Hardcore, 1998
- "Come on in now, wipe your feet on my dreams. You take up my time, like some cheap magazine, when I could have been learning something, oh well, you know what I mean. I've done this before. And I will do it again. Come on and kill me baby, while you smile like a friend."
115. "People Who Died" Jim Carroll Band
- Catholic Boy, 1980
- "Bobby got leukemia, 14 years old, he looked like 65 when he died, he was a friend of mine."
116. "Head On (The Jesus & Mary Chain)" Pixies
- Trompe Le Monde,
- "And the world could die in pain, and I wouldn't feel no shame, and there's nothing holding me to blame. Makes you want to feel, makes you want to try, makes you want to blow the stars from the sky."
117. "Secret of the Easy Yoke" Pedro the Lion
- It's Hard to Find a Friend, 1998
- "The devoted were wearing bracelets, to remind them why they came, some concrete motivation, when the abstract could not do the same. But if all that's left is duty, I'm falling on my sword. At least then I would not serve an unseen, distant lord."
118. "I See a Darkness" Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
- I See a Darkness, 1999
- "Well I hope that someday buddy, we'll have peace in our lives, together or apart, alone or with our wives. If we can stop our whoring and pull the smiles inside, and light it up forever, and never go to sleep. My best unbeaten brother, this isn't all I see... I know I see a darkness."
119. "We Dance" Pavement
- Wowee Zowee, 1995
- "Check that expiration date, man, it's later than you think."
120. "Paper Thin Walls" Modest Mouse
- The Moon and Antarctica, 2000
- "These walls are paper thin and everyone hears every little sound. Everyone's a voyeurist, they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
121. "This Heart's on Fire" Wolf Parade
- Apologies to the Queen Mary, 2005
- "Sometimes we rock and roll. I'd rather stay at home in real life. This heart's on fire, this heart's on fire, this heart's on fire, this heart's on fire."
122. "Still Flat" Built to Spill
- The Normal Years, 1993
- "Another Marxist celebration, this time with pipes instead of guns. With very little dedication, to anything that isn't fun."
123. "Raining in Darling" Bonnie 'Prince' Billy
- I See a Darkness, 1999
- "Oh it don't rain anymore, I go outdoors, where it's fun to be, and I know you love me. I know you do."
124. "Company Calls Epilogue" Death Cab for Cutie
- We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes,
- "Synapse to synapse, the sneaky kids have attached beer cans to the bumpers so they can drive up and down the main drag and people will turn to see who's making the racket. It's not the first time."
125. "Obstacle 1" Interpol
- Turn on the Bright Lights, 2002
- "It's in the way that she poses, it's in the things that she puts in my head, her stories are boring and stuff, she's always calling my bluff, she puts the weights into my little heart and she gets in my room and she takes it apart."
126. "Slack Motherfucker" Superchunk
- Superchunk, 1990
- "You haven't moved that spot all night, since you asked for a light, you little smoke stack. You've wasted my time, I'd like to see you try to give it back. Well I'm working, but I'm not working for you, slack motherfucker!"
127. "The Trees Get Wheeled Away" Bright Eyes
- Noise Floor, 2005
- "So imagine what you want, and then hold on to that thought, 'cause that's as close as it will ever come. And believe you're where you are, just keep acting out the part. But at the end of the day, the trees all get wheeled away. You'll be standing alone in a blank, blank space."
128. "No Cars Go" The Arcade Fire
- Arcade Fire EP, 2002 (also available in a slightly different version on Neon Bible, 2007)
- "Us kids know. No cars go."
129. "Only Skin" Joanna Newsom
- Ys, 2006
- "Then in my hot hand, she slumped her sick weight. We tramped through the poison oak, heartbroke and inchoate. The dogs were snapping, so you cuffed their collars, while I climbed the treehouse, and how I hollered. 'Cause she'd lain, as still as a stone in my palm for a lifetime or two. Then, saw the treetops, cocked her head and up and flew."
130. "House" Psychedelic Furs
- Book of Days, 1989
- "Your dreams are not life. These broken words are not my life. Your lies are not of my invention. Your promises were not my plan."
131. "Alone Down There" Modest Mouse
- The Moon and Antarctica, 2000
- "The devil's apprentice he gave me some credit, he fed me a line and I'll probably forget it. I don't want you to be alone down there, to be alone down there, to be alone."
132. "Date with IKEA" Pavement
- Brighten the Corners, 1997
- "I want to stay but my time is wasting."
133. "A Sort of Homecoming" U2
- The Unforgettable Fire, 1984
- "And you know it's time to go, through the sleet and driving snow, across the fields of mourning, light in the distance."
134. "Hardly Getting Over It" Husker Du
- Candy Apple Grey, 1986
- "Now he's hardly getting over it, hardly getting used to getting by."
135. "Never Leave a Job Half Done" Pedro the Lion
- Winners Never Quit, 2000
- "Blood stains on the carpet. Blood stains on my hands. Drag her toward the kitchen, hide the evidence. Oh the toil a lie can bring that quitters never know. But lies can be the perfect things if they never show. The crisis posed a question, just beneath the skin. The virtue in my veins reply, that quitters never win. She almost ruined everything."
136. "Live Forever" Oasis
- Definitely Maybe, 1995
- "Maybe I will never be, all the things that I want to be, but now is not the time to cry, now's the time to find out why. I think you're the same as me, we see things I'll never see. You and I we're gonna live forever."
137. "Regret" New Order
- Republic, 1993
- "Maybe I've forgotten the name and the address of everyone I've ever known, it's nothing I regret."
138. "Charlotte Sometimes (Live)" The Cure
- Paris, 1995
- "Sometimes I dream where all the other people dance. Sometimes I dream. Charlotte sometimes."
139. "Light Pollution" Bright Eyes
- Digital Ash in a Digital Urn, 2004
- "Drove out through the crowd and the cops. Drove out past that center mall. Drove out past the sickening sprawl. Out past that fenced in crawl. And maybe he lost control, fucking with the radio, but I bet the stars seemed so close. At the end."
140. "Heavy Lifting" Ambulance LTD
- LP, 2004
- "But it's an easy game, those clouds bring heavy, heavy rain, and lifting is an awful lot of pain, we're gonna be sore for sure."
141. "Headache" Frank Black
- Teenager of the Year, 1993
- "This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit. I thought about my space and I really got me down (got me down). Got me so down, I got me a headache. My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound."
142. "All is Full of Love (Bjork)" Death Cab for Cutie
- The Stability EP, 2001
- "You'll be given love, you'll be taken care of. You'll be given love, you have to trust it. Maybe not from the sources you have poured yours, maybe not from the directions
you are staring at. Twist your head around, it's all around you. All is full of love."
143. "Your Hand in Mine" Explosions in the Sky
- The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place, 2003
144. "Us Ones in Between" Sunset Rubdown
- Shut Up I Am Dreaming, 2006
- "And I’ve heard of pious men and I’ve heard of dirty fiends, but you don’t often hear of us ones in between. And I’ve heard of creatures who eat their babies; I wonder if they stop to think about the taste."
145. "Perfect Circle" R.E.M.
- Murmur, 1983
- "Heaven assumes, shoulders high in the room, heaven assumes."
146. "Silence Kit" Pavement
- Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, 1994
- "Come on now, talk about your family, your sister's cursed, your father's old and damned, yeah, silent kid, don't listen to the grandmother's advice about us."
147. "Willing to Wait" Sebadoh
- Harmacy, 1996
- "When you see him again, tell him everything that you told me, tell him that I'm still your friend, and maybe you would like to see me again."
148. "Teeth Like God's Shoeshine" Modest Mouse
- The Lonesome Crowded West, 1997
- "You can be ashamed or be so proud of what you've done, but not no one, not now, not ever or anyone."
149. "What Jail is Like" Afghan Whigs
- What Jail is Like, 1994
- "Think I'm proud of this well maybe, but the shame you never lose. Infatuated with a lunatic and cornered by the noose. And it goes down every night. This must be what jail is really like. And I will scratch my way out of this pen, again. "
150. "Purr" Sonic Youth
- Dirty, 1992
- "I learned it all from you girl - I got it all from you, how to howl the moon yeah - and how to scratch your dog. I do it every day - come back again tomorrow, you chased it all away."
151. "Freak Scene" Dinosaur Jr.
- Bug, 1998
- "It's so fucked I can't believe it, if there's a way I wish we'd see it, how it could work just can't conceive it, what a mess it's just to leave it."
152. "Why Would I Want to Die" Grandaddy
- Concrete Dunes, 2002
- "You didn't really die, you only went away, my drummer he saw you buying supplies about a week ago, a couple towns away, south on the interstate. I gave him shit for not telling me sooner than he did, he said he thought I knew, he said everybody else has seen her too. I haven't been around enough or kept in touch, with anyone or anything."
153. "No Children" The Mountain Goats
- Tallahassee, 2002
- [Editor's Note: I'm giving the whole song here - the lyrics are just too good.]
- "I hope that our few remaining friends give up on trying to save us, I hope we come up with a failsafe plot to piss off the dumb few that forgave us. I hope the fences we mended fall down beneath their own weight. And I hope we hang on past the last exit, I hope it's already too late.
And I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again, in my life,
I hope I lie and tell everyone you were a good wife,
And I hope you die
I hope we both die
I hope I cut myself shaving tomorrow, I hope it bleeds all day long. Our friends say it's darkest before the sun rises, we're pretty sure they're all wrong. I hope it stays dark forever, I hope the worst isn't over, and I hope you blink before I do, yeah I hope I never get sober.
And I hope when you think of me years down the line, you can't find one good thing to say.
And I'd hope that if I found the strength to walk out, you'd stay the hell out of my way.
I am drowning, there is no sign of land, you are coming down with me,
Hand in unlovable hand,
And I hope you die
I hope we both die
154. "Face Up" New Order
- Low-Life, 1985
- "Ever since I've seen your face, this life of mine has gone to waste."
155. "The Ledge" The Replacements
- Pleased to Meet Me, 1987
- "I'm the boy they couldn't ignore, for the first time in my life I'm sure."
156. "I'm Waking Up to Us" Belle and Sebastian
- I'm Waking Up to Us (single), 2001 / Push Barman to Open Old Wounds (compilation), 2005
- "I need someone to take some joy in something I do, you need a man who's either rich or losing a screw."
157. "Broke" Modest Mouse
- Building Something Out of Nothing (compilation), 2000
- "Broke my face and ran out of time. Sometimes I'm so full of shit that it should be a crime."
158. "Rode My Bike to My Stepsister's Wedding" Grandaddy
- The Crystal Lake 7" single (B-side), 2000
- "If the wildest boar couldn't see me, then why does boredom at home see me so clearly? And like a flashlight in the campfire I fade, forgetting the plans that I made, the plans that I made."
159. "Can't Fight It" Bob Mould
- No Alternative (various artists), 1993
- "And it's strange
160. "Lover I Don't Have to Love" Bright Eyes
- Lifted, or the Story is in the Soil Keep Your Ear to the Ground, 2002
- (Editor's Note: This is not the Elliott Spitzer anthem, as far as I know)
- "I want a lover I don't have to love. I want a girl who's too sad to give a fuck. Where is the kid with the chemicals? I thought he said to meet me here, but I'm not sure. I got the money if you've got the time. You said, 'It feels good," I said, 'I'll give it it a try'."
161. "Hand in Glove" The Smiths
- The Smiths, 1984
- "Hand in glove,
162. "Like a Forest" Low
- Things We Lost in the Fire, 2001
- "Black, like a forest, and still like a lion, my knees are bended. We used to speak a different language. I wasted my breath, on words soon forgotten, left unattended, we're moving our feet but nobody's dancing, and I take your time. I take time. How can I blame you, for all of the screaming, that I had to turn to, just in time to go off in my head...."
163. "Romulus" Sufjan Stevens
- Greetings from Michigan, the Great Lake State, 2003
- "Once when she moved away, she came to Romulus for a day. Her Chevrolet broke down, we prayed it'd never be fixed or be found."
164. "I Heard You Looking" Yo La Tengo
- Painful, 1993
165. "Lucky You" The National
- Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers, 2003
- "Every time you're driving home, way outside your safety zone, forever you will ever be, you're never getting rid of me. You own me, there's nothing you can do. You own me. You could have made a safer bet, but what you break is what you get, you wake up in the bed you made, I think you made a big mistake. You own me, there's nothing you can do, you own me. Lucky you. You own me, there's nothing you can do. You clean yourself to meet the man who isn't me, you're putting on a shirt, a shirt I'll never see, the letter's in your coat, but no one's in your head, 'cause you're too smart to remember, you're too smart, lucky you."
166. "Half a Person" The Smiths
- Shoplifters of the World Unite 7" single (B-side), 1987 / Louder than Bombs (compilation), 1987
- "Call me morbid, call me pale, I've spent too long on your trail, far too long, chasing your tail. And if you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life: sixteen, clumsy, and shy, that's the story of my life."
167. "April Skies" The Jesus & Mary Chain
- Darklands, 1987
- "And it's hard for me to say, and it's hard for me to stay, I'm going down to be by myself, I'm going back for the good of my health. And there's one thing I couldn't do - sacrifice myself to you. Sacrifice."
168. "Season of the Shark" Yo La Tengo
- Summer Sun, 2003
- "Please don't be afraid, no matter how much out there scares you so. Just look around, if it's not me, then someone else you know."
169. "Great Ghosts" The Microphones
- Live in Japan, February 2003, 2004
- "But I didn't count the fact that I have ghosts in my mind, stowaways, great ghosts of my life, great ghosts of old wives. And they're howling."
170. "The Center of the World" Bright Eyes
- Fevers and Mirrors, 2000
- "In the middle of the day, when you drive home to your place, from the job that makes you sleep, back to the thoughts that keep you awake, long after night has come to claim any light that still remains."
171. "Detroit Has a Skyline" Superchunk
- Here's Where the Strings Come In, 1995
- "There was no architect designed this view. He could not have known about you."
172. "I Believe" R.E.M.
- Life's Rich Pageant, 1986
- "When I was young and full of grace, I spirited a rattlesnake, when I was young, my fever fell, my spirit I will not tell. You're on your honor not to tell."
173. "The Unforgettable Fire" U2
- The Unforgettable Fire, 1984
- "Carnival, the wheels fly and the colors spin, through alcohol, red wine that punctures the skin. Face to face, in a dry and waterless place."
174. "Boys Don't Cry" The Cure
- Boys Don't Cry, 1980
- "I would say I'm sorry, if I thought that it would change your mind, but I know that this time
I've said too much, been too unkind."
175. "The Mistress Witch from McClure (or, The Mind that Knows Itself)" Sufjan Stevens
- The Avalanche: Outtakes and Extras from the Illinois Album, 2006
- "If I'm hiding in the sleeves of my coat when my father runs undressed, he's pointing at my throat. And my brother has a fit, in the snow, and the traffic stops for miles, we take him by the elbow."
176. "Stop Coming to My House" Mogwai
- Happy Songs for Happy People, 2003
177. "Op Beach" Mono
- Under the Pipal Tree, 2001
178. "Wake Up" The Arcade Fire
- Funeral, 2004
- "Children, wake up, hold your mistake up, before they turn the summer into dust."
179. "Little Fury Things" Dinosaur Jr.
- You're Living All Over Me, 1987
- "Then I'll read about all those who bleed."
180. "Pretty in Pink" Psychedelic Furs
- Talk Talk Talk, 1981
- "Well Caroline laughs and it's raining all day and she longs to be one of the girls, she lives in this place in the side of our lives, where nothing is ever put straight. She turns herself round and she smiles and she says, this is it, that's the end of the joke. She loses herself in her dreaming and sleep and her lovers walk through in their coats."
181. "Common People" Pulp
- Different Class, 1995
- "You will never understand how it feels to live your life with no meaning or control, and with nowhere left
to go. You are amazed that they exist, and they burn so bright, while you can only wonder why."
182. "Velvet Waltz" Built to Spill
- Perfect From Now On, 1997
- "And you better not be angry, and you better not be sad. You better just enjoy the luxury of sympathy, if that's a luxury you have."
183. "Too Pure" Sebadoh
- Harmacy, 1996
- "I stretch because I'm sore, and then I open up for more, I do it out of habit, not addiction. And if I give it up, clean out my blood, will I still feel bored and disconnected?"
184. "Farewell Transmission" Songs: Ohia
- The Magnolia Electric Co., 2003
- "I will try and know whatever I try, I will be gone but not forever."
185. "Fucked Up Kid" Kevin Drew
- Broken Social Scene Presents Spirit If..., 2007
- "Skinned stains arrived across the floor, and I know it's because we didn't speak about the war."
186. "Happy Birthday to Me" Bright Eyes
- Drunk Kid Catholic, 2001
- "All eyes on the calendar, another year I've claimed with total indifference, to hear the days pile up, with decisions to be made, I'm sure all of them were wrong."
187. "Independence Day" Ani DiFranco
- Little Plastic Castle, 1998
- "We drove up to the top of the parking ramp, 4th of July. We sat out on the hood with a couple of warm beers, and watched the fireworks explode in the sky, and there was an exodus of birds from the trees, because they didn't know we were only pretending. And the people all looked up and looked please and the birds flew around like the whole world was ending."
188. "Unless It's Kicks" Okkervil River
- The Stage Names, 2007
- "What gives this mess some grace, unless it's kicks, man, unless it's fiction, unless it's sweat or it's song."
189. "All My Friends" LCD Soundsystem
- Sound of Silver, 2007
- "Where are your friends tonight? Where are your friends tonight? Where are your friends tonight? If I could see all my friends tonight. If I could see all my friends tonight, if I could see all my friends tonight."
190. "Up the Junction" Squeeze
- Cool for Cats, 1979
- "Alone here in the kitchen, I feel there's something missing, I'd beg for some forgiveness, but begging's not my business, and she won't write a letter, although I always tell her, and so it's my assumption, I'm really up the junction."
191. "Exploding Boy" The Cure
- In Between Days 7", 1985 / Standing on the Beach, 1986
- "I couldn't hear a word you said, I couldn't hear at all, you talked until your tongue fell out
and then you talked some more. I knew if i turned, knew if I turned, I'd turn away from you. And I couldn't look back. And I couldn't look back."
192. "Oh, You Are the Roots that Sleep Beneath My Feet and Hold the Earth in Place" Bright Eyes
- Oh Holy Fools, 2001
- "I sing and drink and sleep on floors and try hard not to be annoyed, by all those people worrying about me."
193. "Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts" Wolf Parade
- Apologies to the Queen Mary, 2005
- "I've got a hand so I've got a fist, so I've got a plan, it's the best that I can do! I would say it's in god's hands, but god doesn't have the best goddamned plans, does he???"
194. "Intervention" The Arcade Fire
- Neon Bible, 2007
- "Been working for the church while your life falls apart, singing hallelujah with the fear in your heart, every spark of friendship and love will die without a home."
195. "The Outer Banks" The Album Leaf
- In a Safe Place, 2004
196. "Cemetry Gates" The Smiths
- The Queen is Dead, 1986
- "A dreaded sunny day, so let's go where we're wanted and I'll meet you at the cemetery gates."
197. "The National Front Disco" Morrissey
- Your Arsenal, 1992
- "Oh there's a country, you don't live there, but one day you would like to, and if you show them what you're made of, oh then you might do..."
198. "Ghost" Neutral Milk Hotel
- In the Aeroplane over the Sea, 1998
- "And she was born in a bottle rocket, 1929, with wings that ring around a socket, right between her spine."
199. "Soul and Fire" Sebadoh
- Bubble and Scrape, 1993
- "It's all a matter of soul and fire, infatuation or true desire; the thrill of discovery, divine intervention. Cruel, cruel change, the pain of rejection. As you walk away, think of all the joy we shared. If you decide you need me, I'll be wondering if I care. Not there to soothe your soul, friend to tender friend, I think our love is coming to an end."
200. "Honey, Watch Your Ass" Jason Molina
- Pyramid Electric Co., 2003
- "Something deep enough to hurt, so it always reminds her, something deep enough to last. Darlin' honey, watch your ass."
And if that wasn't enough, here's my list of honorable mentions: the songs that were closest, but just didn't quite get included (and in some cases, probably should have), in no particular order:
- "The Rat" The Walkmen
- "In Metal" Low
- "We Rule the School" Belle and Sebastien
- "A.M. 180" Grandaddy
- "New Partner" Palace Brothers
- "Method Acting" Bright Eyes
- "Almost There" Pedro the Lion
- "Baby Blue Sedan" Modest Mouse
- "Helpless" Sugar
- "Monkey Gone to Heaven" Pixies
- "100%" Sonic Youth
- "Suedehead" Morrissey
- "Winged/Wicked Things" Sunset Rubdown
- "Are You Swimming in Her Pools?" Swan Lake
- "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" Belle and Sebastien
- "Death is the Road to Awe" Clint Mansell
- "A Baby for Pree" Neutral Milk Hotel
- "Halcyon (Beautiful Days)" Mono
- "Little Fury Bugs" Death Cab for Cutie
- "Disintegration" The Cure
- "Worms v. Birds" Modest Mouse
- "Church on White" Stephen Malkmus
- "Hum" The Sheila Divine
- "Tigress" Songs: Ohia
- "Blister in the Sun" Violent Femmes
- "Goldfinger" Ash
- "Hedgehog" Luna
- "A New England" Billy Bragg
- "That's Entertainment" The Jam
- "The Weather" Built to Spill
- "Interesting Drug" Morrissey
- "You and Me" Archers of Loaf
- "Dear God" XTC
- "From a Balance Beam" Bright Eyes
- "Range Life" Pavement
- "Texas Never Whispers" Pavement